Only South African Citizens Need Apply
Overview of position
To provide technical direction and business guidance to the engineering team. Delivers on applicable operational and strategic objectives set by the General Manager. Executes, directly or through subordinates, the technical work required to develop and industrialise new products, improve products or reduce costs of existing products without compromising the quality of the products. Ensures adequate manufacturing/testing equipment and processes are utilised in the plant.
Main Job Function(s)
- Set priorities for new product development based on strategic and sales/commercial requirements
- Collaborate with sales and marketing, commercial and other functions to drive and define project potential, scope and focus, ensuring aligned direction on priorities for new products (RFQ)
- Ensure new product releases are regularly communicated with senior leadership and other functions.
- Manage project workload within the engineering team, ensuring new products are delivered on time
- Coordinate engineering responses for customer inquiries related to requests for quotation, product application design performance, warranty claims and field issues
- Maintain solid understanding of the competitive set, and emerging technology to help identify gap or opportunity areas from a technical point of difference in product design(through benchmarking process)
- Manage the Development Engineers, Technicians and provide interface with product line managers concerning customer expectations
- Provide support to General Manager; practices powerful reporting and in-depth analysis; prepare presentations for proposals; manage commercial information consistently in order to offer accurate assessments
- Liaise with international suppliers and technology partners on new products and designs
- Overall management responsibility to initiate and execute capital investment projects for the plant
- Implementation of project management principles
- Provide support to process engineers on equipment-technical specification on new projects
- Manage Process Engineers, graduate trainees, and provide leadership and technical support
- Ensure implementation of world-class production management principles (particularly in the areas of process optimization; tool change over, work study, lean manufacturing, quality management; risk management, safety management etc).
- Set and ensure appropriate management controls and good practices of operational budgeting and overall financial management of the engineering department
- Implement action plans to keep engineering downtime at minimal levels and assist engineers to improve overall equipment efficiency by implementing best engineering practices
- Provide technical support to other functions to ensure business/operational objectives are achieved
- Provide support to General Manager, overview project proposals linked to OHS Act and GMR
- Contributes to Operations Management team (SHEQ, Engineering, Materials) and general operations strategy
- Confers with operations management team to resolve plant problems of any nature and recommend measures to improve operations and conditions of machines, new product introductions and overall plant efficiency
- Ensure that New Product Industrialisation, Engineering Changes and PPAP activities are introduced into the process seamlessly, ensuring that the official handover meets the requirements prescribed
- BSc Mechanical Engineering degree plus project and business management qualification. AGCC would be an advantage.
- At least 7 years engineering experience and 5 years senior management experience.
- Proficient computer skills – MS Office, MS Projects, Auto-Cad
The job holder must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
- Technical Drawings
- Operations and Business Management
- Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
- Product Development
- Customer service
- Project Management