JOB TITLE: Financial Accountant
LOCATION: Cape Town
REPORTING TO: Financial Manager – Financial Accounting
• Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
• Manage outsourced functions.
• Oversee the operations of the accounting department, especially the control systems, transaction-processing operations, and the policies and procedure.
• Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
• Oversee the recording of all financial transactions and maintenance of all General Ledger accounts (including Insurance Finance accounts) and ensure all information is recorded accurately and timorously and in accordance with IFRS.
• Manage and authorize relevant procurement accounts in terms of budget and BEE requirements (Accounts and levels to be determined)
• Proposals to senior management of possible enhancements and improvements adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
• Support, supervise and guide accounting team by coordinating activities and resolving operational trouble shooting and issues.
• Manage and supervise the finance team.
• Review and ensure accuracy of all financial transactions posting as well as compliance with GAAP and IFRS.
• Review and sign off all recurring and adjusting journals.
• Prepare all adhoc journal entries.
• Validate payments by verifying documentation and ensuring accuracy
• Ensure that accounts payable are paid in accurately in a timely manner.
• Monitor and analyze company cash flow and prepare daily reports
• Ensure that accounts receivable are invoiced and collected promptly.
• Ensure that all bank reconciliations are completed.
• Accurately process payroll and related reports and reconciliations within the required time.
• Maintain the chart of accounts for all companies.
• Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
• Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
• Prepare monthly income tax calculations.
• Ensure a fixed asset register is maintained accurately.
• Ensure all General Ledger schedules and reconciliations are maintained.
• Ensure preparation, reconciliations and submission of all statutory and regulatory returns.
• Prepare all statutory returns and all relevant reconciliations.
• Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
• Budget preparation in line with the budget process within the required time lines.
• Ensure ad hoc projects are completed accurately and timorously.
• Responsible for preparing monthly management accounts and consolidation thereof and providing management with deviance reporting.
• Calculate and prepare financial and operational metrics on an ad hoc basis.
• Provide for a system of management cost reports.
• Provide financial analysis as needed.
• Responsible for audit preparation within the required deadlines.
• Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
• Comply with regulatory reporting standards and statutory filings.
• Comply with financial legal requirements (e.g. SARS, Short-Term Insurance and FAIS etc.) by studying existing and new legislation
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bcom or similar degree
- Five to Seven years working experience in a financial accounting roll
- Insurance experience would be advantageous