This role reports to the Technology Team Leader – Utilities, Energy, Loss & Process Chemistry who in turn reports to the Technology Manager. This role has no direct reports.
Key interfaces for this role include the other PU support technologists, Engineering Assurance disciplines, the Production Unit personnel, PSM, HSSEQ and Baker Hughes (Stanlow’s process chemistry service provider).
The process chemist will within their area of responsibility provide timely, fit for purpose technical assurance and advice to the site and business functions, collaborating with them to support and achieve a sustainably safe, reliable, profitable and growing enterprise. Working closely with PU support technologists, PU operations teams, ENG discipline engineers, and Baker Hughes (site process chemistry service provider), the process chemist will drive enhancement of unit productivity and profitability across the site while maintaining robust operation within the units’ defined integrity operating windows through the use of applied process chemistry techniques, as well as ensuring compliance with defined legal obligations.
- Site focalpoint for legionella control – responsibilities are summarised as follows:
· Reports to site HSSE Manager for the purposes of legionella control, providing overview of site control measures to the SLT for cooling water systems.
· Defines management framework and organisational structure for legionella control, as well as specific controls and tasks at system level, as per system care manuals
· Active member of all investigations involving legionella
· Audits documentation and control compliance, update management system documents
- Support production units across site in all areas of process chemistry, including
· Timely and fit for purpose technical guidance in resolution of day-to-day issues involving process chemical dosing
· Leading multi-disciplinary reactive investigation of long-term process chemistry issues
· Input to training
· Optimisation of process chemistry in order to push production units to defined operating window constraints
- Technical development and approval of changes (using the site MOC process) including records updates
- Site technical interface with Water Treatment and Process Chemistry Providers, including
· Representing Essar in technical aspects of the 3rd party agreement with the core provider, and ensuring compliance with Essar technical interests
· Working collaboratively with supplier technical personnel to develop and maximise potential of opportunities through use of cutting-edge industry knowledge and applications, and drive timely realisation of benefits
- Proactively look for improvement opportunities and support implementation
- Capital projects, generate ideas and
· Develop and support commissioning of small / medium sized projects
· Provide input to larger / more technically complex projects
- Site Chemical Decontamination Focal Point
· Support Turnaround group to optimise unit shutdown decontamination and share best practice
· Support PU technologists on PU specific chemical decontamination activities
- Raise process chemistry knowledge within the organisation through targeted training
- Provide process safety assurance, advice and expertise in the area of process chemistry
- Support the site in achieving Goal Zero safety performance by participating in initiatives as per schedule; for example PSFOs, safe visits, safety standstills, look out.
- Support the site in complying with legislation such as COMAH; REACH; PPC; EUETS etc.
- Product quality / customers – understand key process chemistry specifications and the potential impact of additives etc. on finished product quality within and downstream of process units such that can support internal and external customers.
- Maximising the value of the site process chemistry contract to Essar by developing a strong working relationship with the vendor while robustly representing Essar interests
- Managing a wide cross-section of stakeholders across the business functions
- Proactively researching, scouting, challenging and developing Growth opportunities
- Site legionella focal point provides the opportunity for a key high profile role in a critical legal compliance process with a high health and safety impact.
- The process chemistry role offers a diverse remit, having key links into all of the site main objectives of being sustainably safe, reliable, profitable and growing, so the challenge is to balance worklist priorities to deliver the right results for the business.