The Company is a world leading supplier of turbine components into a multitude of sectors with numerous blue chip global OEM customers. The facility is part of a separate company group, which has been recently acquired by The Company and forms a key part of the group’s strategic growth plans.
This position is for a Manufacturing Engineering Manager required to lead one of the manufacturing engineering teams. As the Manufacturing Engineering Manager you will be responsible the leadership and professional development of the manufacturing engineering team. The focus of activity is therefore in three key area - Part right first time improvement, new product introduction and manufacturing source change. Some of the key aspects of the role will include
· Leadership of a manufacturing engineering team to ensure on time delivery of multiple NPI projects, part right first time improvement and the successful transfer of production parts into the Mexico facility
· Ensuring a structured approach to all engineering activity with a clear focus on key deliverables while simultaneously promoting and developing accountability within the team.
· Coordinating technical interaction with external and internal customers ensuring this is controlled within a clear set of guidelines
· Development of an efficient and robust method of costing for new work
· Development of best practice manufacturing processes for existing product families and NPI including: fixturing, tooling, processes, and programs.
· Ensuring a structured, data driven approach to problem solving and continuous improvement with a heavy focus on sustained improvement of part right first time
· Responsibility for maintaining the ME load and capacity tool and developing and driving skills development in the team, ensuring ongoing alignment to business need
· Coaching and mentoring the use of six sigma tools and techniques within the team
· Improving the effectiveness of NPI execution
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate strong working knowledge, experience and successful outcomes in the majority of the areas outlined below and to be considered must meet the required skills
· 5 years + experience of working in a Manufacturing Engineering Leadership role in an aerospace environment.
· Working knowledge of good practice new product introduction methodologies, ideally in an aerospace environment
· Clear understanding of manufacturing change control procedures within an aerospace manufacturing environment
· Demonstrable success in delivering sustained part right first time improvement within a manufacturing environment
· Bachelor's degree in engineering or 10 years+ professional manufacturing engineering experience in lieu of this
· Strong working knowledge and understanding of the use process control and problem investigation tools (SPC, PFMEAs, control plans, RCA, 7 step, 5 whys e.t.c)
· Excellent man management skills and proven ability to develop teams and deliver challenging objectives in complex environments
· Ability to manage high levels of ambiguity and change
· Clear understanding of the importance of ensuring a structured and rigorous approach
· Clear understanding of the importance and risk associated with driving accountability down the organisation. i.e. as leaders we must give people responsibility and allow them to make mistakes while providing a safety net to ensure the impact of ant mistakes is minimised for the business and the individual
Desirable Technical Skills:
· Knowledge of the method of manufacturing and processes used to manufacture turbine components (blades, static vanes, seal segments).
· Understanding and experience of 5 axis grinding and/or EDM processes
· Six Sigma Green or Black Belt accreditation.
· Well developed project management skills
· Methodical, logical approach to problem solving. Excellent attention to detail
· Ability to communicate affectively upwards and downwards within the organisation and to train others.
· Good team play with collaborative attitude and a flexible approach and a strong drive for results