For a German client, based near Frankfurt, we are looking for a Unix System Engineer in IBM AIX, GNU/Linux and/or Solaris Engineer 3rd Level Support willing to move to Germany (permanent employment contract). Good English language skills (spoken and written) are required. Knowledge of German is not necessary.
The duties range from the support to the operation of the AIX / Solaris / Linux based ground segment facilities, to the analysis, design, development, testing and maintenance of distributed hardware and system software platforms. This includes the setting-up and implementation of maintenance policies and procedures, the support to the procurement of hardware and software, and the coordination with external providers of maintenance services.
It is expected you to provide 3nd level support for the current systems and participate in the evolution and design of the new environments. As 3rd level support engineer, you shall perform complex tasks and changes that require wide understanding of the systems and technologies behind. You will also develop test beds and propose improvements of the current platform and you will be involved on the design of new systems and services.
Your tasks will typically include but are not limited to:
- High level management of the current platform, suggesting improvements and deploying new systems and services
- 3rd level support, responsible for investigation and resolution of complicated and/or challenging incidents
- Installation and configuration of operating system and other software, tuning of operating systems parameters to optimize performance
- Analysis, planning and performance of Hardware (HW) and Software (SW) upgrades or reconfigurations, taking care of compatibility issues between subsystems monitoring of the system performance, investigation into HW and system SW problems and performance of the relevant corrective actions
- Ensuring that if case of HW or system SW failures the operational configuration can be restored, including the definition, maintenance, performance of backup procedures
- Liaison with the external providers of HW and system SW maintenance for the request and follow up of maintenance interventions
- Administration and installation of databases
- Administration of user accounts
- Support to SW development and maintenance in relation to the utilization of system resources
- Implementation and maintenance of scripts and/or procedures where applicable for the automated and/or controlled execution of the above activities, generation or update of technical documentation in relation to system upgrades
- Provision of stand-by/on-call support
- Provision of support, as required, to critical operations.
In the performance of the activities you shall apply the relevant change control and maintenance procedures.
This is a full time position, located at our office in Darmstadt, Germany, starting ASAP. Standby / call-out support and provision of support to critical operations, may sometimes be required.
Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent).
You should have proven extensive knowledge and work knowledge with the following:
- IBM AIX, GNU/Linux operating system(s), and/or Solaris.
- Virtualization technologies (VMware, PowerVC).
- Distributed system administration
- Operation and production environments
Proven knowledge and at least 5 years hands-on experience with at least two of the following is mandatory:
- GNU\Linux administration using different distributions (SLES, RHEL).
- Solaris administration and troubleshooting.
- IBM AIX administration and troubleshooting.
Proven knowledge and hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
- High Availability software Sun Cluster and Veritas Cluster.
- Sun QFS and SAM-QFS software in HA cluster environments
- Basic IT System design skills
- Development support. Experience compiling software, troubleshooting library conflicts and building software pacakges
- Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end system changes
- Preparation of technical documentation in English in a complete and clear manner
In addition, experience in the installation, administration and troubleshooting on some of the following shall be considered as an advantage:
- Experience with the monitoring tool Nagios
- VMware virtualization
- RAID arrays (EMC)
- SAN (Brocade)
- Backup and recovery systems
- Automation experience (Puppet or similar)
- Auto provisioning tools (Openstack / Opencloud) or similar