Mechanical Engineering - Pipeline Support UK
The pipeline group manage the cross-country pipeline system providing feedstock for the petrochemical business at Stanlow. The pipeline system represents in the order of 900km of pipeline running underground in the public domain with over 50 above ground installations in NW England and SE Scotland within the UK.
Supply of oil and chemical feed stock is business critical to Stanlow.
Crude oils supplies are managed on a just in time basis, at best Stanlow refinery will have a few days stock and at worst a few hours. The crude oil cross country pipeline system is essential for shipping the oil from the shipping terminal at Tranmere to the refinery at Stanlow without which the refinery could not operate. The loss of refinery margin would be US$ hundreds of thousands per day. Ethylene supplies for chemicals manufacturing are dependant upon supplies of ethylene from Mossmorran in Scotland approximately 500km away. There is no storage for ethylene at Stanlow. The ethylene pipeline availability is not only critical to manufacturing at Stanlow but lack of this outlet has consequential impacts on the production of ethylene and North Sea Gas supplies which would amount to a loss of many US$ millions per day
The key activities are to manage the security of supply through the risks presented by:
• Safe operation
• Damage to the pipelines caused by excavation by others (3rd parties)
• Internal and external corrosion of the pipelines.
• Failure of equipment or materials.
• Failure of processes
• Management of natural occurrences.
Being prepared to mitigate the consequences of a pipeline leak and fulfilment of statutory duties.
The total pipeline business budget is in excess of £13 million per annum.
1. Provision of technical engineering support to the cross country pipeline asset base to assure asset integrity and achieve safe reliable operation within the constraints of budgets and commercial pressures.
2. Understanding, implementing and providing assurance of compliance with cross country pipeline standards and legislation.
3. Representing the Company in joint industry forums sharing and learning industry best practice
Desirable HNC Mechanical or Degree preferred.
3 years operational/maintenance experience in the petrochemical or process related industries.
Experience in the development of new skills outside of the normal job range. (job skills required apply to only a relatively small population in petrochemical industry)
High level of interpersonal skills and ability to deal with complex situations often face to face.