Senior Electrical Laboratory Test Engineer
Our Client is appointed as a ‘notified body’ by the UK Government under European Directives. They are a £9M business current employing 200 people across three sites in the UK.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, a Senior Electrical Laboratory Test Engineer is required to join our team in our UKAS accredited laboratory, working in support of our product certification business. Tests undertaken at our Hawarden laboratory cover a wide range of electrical and mechanical tests on equipment for use in potentially explosive atmospheres (Ex Products). The role is customer focused, and involves direct liaison with engineers with respect to quotations, project planning and data reporting. Experience of dealing with international clients from different technical backgrounds and disciplines would be beneficial. The post requires a candidate with good interpersonal skills and a proactive approach to the work and the ability to provide technical training and guidance to other laboratory staff. The successful candidate should be motivated, pro-active and able to work on their own initiative. The ability to work independently as well as part of a team is essential.
Primary Duties Would Include
- Conducting testing work on products, following documented test procedures and standards while working to deadlines.
- A good understanding of testing to relevant national/international standards
- Calibration and maintenance of test equipment in a specialised technical environment.
- Reviewing tests results of junior staff and providing mentoring and guidance where necessary.
- Preparation of customer test reports
- Making recommendations for continuous improvement in the laboratory
- Performing the above whilst meeting the requirements of the laboratory’s UKAS accreditation and Health and Safety Policies.
Experience & Skills
- Formal qualification (minimum HND) in either electrical or electronic engineering required.
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment conducting testing, working to the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025.
- Lab View or Visual Basic programming desirable as are Six Sigma, Lean or 5S Skills.
- You must be confident in working in a laboratory, and should have a sound understanding of the safety aspects of Ex test procedures which may include high voltage applications
- Ability to design, build and maintain test equipment
- Good interpersonal skills and be able to demonstrate a proactive approach to the work, together with excellent written and verbal communication (English) together and a good level of computer literacy
- Required to move and lift heavy samples and test equipment