We are a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, We have more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., We today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named us one of its Top Employers in the life sciences.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. We will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
This is a newly defined role in the International Financial Accounting team, based in our International HQ in Paddington, resulting from the current and planned expansion across Europe.
The Financial Accounting Manager will be responsible for co-ordinating timely completion of regional statutory and tax compliance deliverables for all our international companies, pro-actively ensuring regional accounting processes are compliant with global policies and procedures, within an effective internal control environment.
This position involves contacts across multiple teams, both locally and globally, and is highly visible in the organisation with excellent prospects for future career development.
• Manage the relationship with external services providers i.e. accounting, audit and tax including the measurement of performance and review of future services provision
• Participation in other ad-hoc accounting projects as required
• Build a partnership of trust and open communication between International Accounting team, European management and US corporate stakeholders
• Manage, train and coach junior members of the team
• Education – Bachelor degree preferred
• Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA) from a practice background, preferably Big 4
• Post qualification experience in industry in similar role
• Good technical knowledge of US GAAP, UK GAAP and IFRS
• Experience of managing small team
• International experience preferred
• Oracle R12 an advantage
• Proven communication, negotiation and influencing skills in working with multiple stakeholders both internal and external
Ability to work under pressure whilst still maintaining attention to detail and effective controls
• Established record in managing multiple and competing priorities
• Experience of US multi-nationals beneficial
• Strong working knowledge of excel
The incumbent will be responsible for all the current international commercial companies, currently UK, CH, DE, IE, FR, ITL, ES, AUS with more in the pipeline plus the UK Milton Park Research facility.
• Ownership of the preparation and submission of statutory financial statements, including the calculation, with support from external service providers, of the corporate tax for each respective entity
• Manage the relationship with local accounting service providers, for non UK countries, ensuring statutory accounts are prepared and filed on time
• Co-ordinate with external tax service providers and the global tax and legal team
• Manage relationship with multiple statutory auditors, locally, regionally and globally
• Provide transparent, pro-active management of all key fiscal deliverables to due dates
• Collaborate with the global tax team and manage external tax services providers to ensure all direct tax obligations are met on time
• Manage external service providers to ensure the completion and timely filing of indirect tax returns (liaising with multiple local and regional service providers). This includes multiple VAT returns for the European entities including any statistical information requested by relevant authorities
• Assist in General Ledger month-end close (journals, BS reconciliations review)
• Assist in monthly P&L and balance sheet review
• Assist with the annual SOX compliance for the international entities and act as key European contact for the US SOX team
• Assist with the ongoing design and implementation of key controls for the accounting function