For our client based in Germany, near Frankfurt, we are seeking a GNU/Linux, Solaris and/or AIX Engineer willing to move to Germany (permanent employment contract). Good English language skills (written and spoken) are required. Knowledge of German is not necessary.
As a member of IT Support group, you will provide support to Ground Segment Commissioning and Routine Operations to our customer, providing 1st and 2nd level support of the GNU/Linux, AIX and Solaris based ground segment facilities.
Your tasks will typically include but are not limited to:
- Installation and configuration of operating system and other software, tuning of operating systems parameters to optimize performance.
- Analysis, planning and performance tuning of Hardware (HW) and Software (SW) installations, ensuring compatibility between subsystems
- Monitoring of the system performance, investigation of HW and system SW problems and performance of the relevant corrective actions.
- Ensuring that in case of HW or system SW failures the operational configuration can be restored, including the definition, maintenance, performance of backup procedures.
- Liaise with the external providers of HW and system SW maintenance for the request and follow up of maintenance interventions.
- Perform administration and installation of databases.
- Administration of user accounts, disk quotas and technical user support.
- Support to SW development and maintenance on system related matters implementation and maintenance of scripts and/or procedures where applicable for the automated and/or controlled execution of the above activities, generation or update of technical documentation in relation to system upgrades
In the performance of the activities you shall apply the relevant change control and maintenance procedures.
This is a full time position, located in Germany, starting ASAP. Standby / call-out support and provision of support to critical operations, may sometimes be required.
Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent).
You should have proven extensive knowledge and work knowledge with GNU/Linux operating system(s), AIX and/or Solaris and virtualization technologies (VMware, PowerVC).
Proven knowledge and at least 1 year hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
- GNU\Linux administration using different distributions (SLES, RHEL are often used)
- Solaris administration and troubleshooting.
- File System administration (EXT2-4, BTRFS, XFS, quota management, NFS)
- Shell scripting
- Basic IT System design skills
- Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end system changes
- Preparation of technical documentation in English in a complete and clear manner
Experience in the installation, administration and troubleshooting on some of the following shall be considered as an advantage:
- AIX administration and troubleshooting
- VMware vCenter / PowerVC management and troubleshooting
- High availability environments
- Network troubleshooting
- Experience with the monitoring tools based on Nagios
- HP/UX experience
- The work is organized using a ticketing system (OTRS) therefore, previous experience on helpdesk and ticket handling is an advantage.
- ITIL Experience