Our client is a successful large German company with more than 13,000 employees world-wide. Since 80 years the company has been making sense of large amounts of data from a wide variety of data sources with the aim to turn data into smart business decisions for their clients (Big Data). For one of their business units in Nuremberg we are currently looking for a
Head of Software Engineering (Java, Big Data, Cloud)- m/f
- Leveraging the company´s enormous data assets, you and your team will develop cutting edge analytics software products for their clients.
- Focus will be on predictive analytics software using an own Big Data platform that integrates different data sources (own, customer, 3rd party) and to create, train and apply data science models. Solutions are for industries and retailers, which help them to predict and improve on their sales strategy significantly.
- Bring together & lead the transformation of a large-scale global engineering function. Drive and improve on quality software development processes and tools, including test driven development, automation at scale, and a state of the art development toolset. You will be responsible for a rapid rise in velocity, an ability to try, build and fail quickly, and an improved relationship with the product management team.
- You will be responsible for all elements of engineering within the business unit, including acquiring internal and external resources, advancing their careers with guidance, training & coaching. You will work for both the Vice President of Technology who defines the roadmap for the division, and the Vice President of Engineering (functional report) who with you will define how engineering will advance. Software engineers of all trade (backend, frontend, big data) as well as software test engineers will form your team.
- Your specific tasks will include:
- Enhancing the software engineering best practices: actively contributing to and channeling feedback and enhancements from the whole of engineering community
- Running communities of practice: ensuring the right candidates are participating, actual work is done and progress made, popularising the idea of COPs within the engineering community and also actively contributing to them
- Software engineering resource planning and forecasting: what is the demand for upcoming work, who is becoming available when
- Resource allocation: in collaboration with the leadership team assign the right people to the right teams (and working out the team structure) to satisfy both the demand and people's personalities.
- Address training and development needs: based on training budget and demanded skills help closing any skills gap in the workforce. Make sure that relevant knowledge is distributed across the organisation.
- Continuously improve the ability of the unit to develop software: be on the lookout for any organisational impediments, unaddressed needs to engineers, process improvements
- Regulating technology selection: apply a broad perspective view to any new technology adoption proposals to ensure long term sustainability and identify shifts in required skills within the engineering workforce
- Understand the product and technology landscape of the unit: know which products are where in their life-cycle, their strategic importance, their architecture roadmap, etc.
- Leadership: Inspire and motivate engineers, guide everyone towards the technology / product vision and challenge them
- Instill purpose: be able to explain to any engineer how their work enables the company to deliver on its goals
- Run the chapter system within the unit: be the chapter lead for the most senior engineers, appoint other chapter leads, monitor personal development of each engineer, assign new roles and handle promotions for engineering staff within the unit
- Master's degree or PHD with strong focus on computer science, software engineering, mathematics, quantitative techniques or related areas
- A proven Background in software engineering and a keen understanding of all phases of the SDLC
- A deep understanding of software development methodologies and frameworks
- Demonstrable experience of having led an engineering unit of at least 10 people and have management experience of having managed managers in the past.
- Track record in managing data driven applications (Java) is a must
- Experience with big data environments (e.g. Hadoop) and cloud environments is a plus
- Used to work in agile Scrum teams, ideally experienced with SAFe
- Fluent English language skills, good communication and leadership skills
- Permanent role with a top employer that offers very good development possibilities
- Attractive salary and very good social benefits
- International work environment
- Work with the latest, state-of-the art technologies and with interesting subject matters.
Please use our online-application form only for applying to advertised position. Please note that we can´t consider applications that we receive by e-mail.
Do you have any questions or require further information? We are always happy to answer any enquires you may have either by telephone or by e-mail:
ANTAL INTERNATIONAL PERSONALBERATUNG
Andreas Dürr, E-Mail: email@example.com, Tel.: 0911 590 596 44