Reporting to: Head, STRATEGY & CREATIVE
Statement of Responsibility
- Build value for our stakeholders:
- To manage, and control, marketing communications projects, and the people who implement them, in accordance with project plans and financial targets.
- Build value for the Group:
- Drive the development of our creative ability, raising the bar of Big Idea and concept development, design, copy writing, photography, artwork, etc. to be comparable to a world-class agency.
- Develop people around him/her to deliver World Class creative outputs and as potential successors to him / her when he / she leaves.
- Drive innovation of services to unleash new revenue streams.
- Client satisfaction, people management, business development and profitability.
- An innovator.
- Meet key performance goals:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Excellent understanding of marketing communications – able to specialize in 3600 experiential marketing (Activation / Event Marketing / Sponsorship / Social Marketing) solutions.
- Excellent in conceptualizing ideas and then taking them through the creative process to deliver World Class creative outputs (across all media – Live included)
- Strong customer service, self-motivation and time management skills required.
- Excellent presentation and client management skills.
- Tact and negotiation skills.
- Proactive in developing clients business.
- Must be an effective project leader, a clear communicator and consensus builder, highly organized, very detail-oriented and able to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must have strong management skills and be able to work with talented staff and motivate them to challenge their own limits and skills.
- Must be comfortable working in a demanding, fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- High proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign). As well as in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in developing collateral while following corporate guidelines.
- Print/graphic design, copywriting and web aesthetics experience.
- Good IT skills.
- Ability to direct and multitask effectively under pressure.
- Ability to manage, support and grow team around them as the engine room of the agency.
- Ability to prioritise and identify problems - offering solutions.
- Ability to conceptualize and to direct concepts through design and execution.
- Follow up and tenacity with results/deadlines.
- A good knowledge of aesthetics and sales (will push the envelope creatively but knows what will sell and meet the needs of the client’s campaign objectives).
- Strong leadership–able to lead teams in brainstorming and concept development.
- Must be an innovator.
- Has an open and friendly personality.
Responsibilities and duties
- The Creative Manager (CM) is responsible for the overall supervision of the agency’s creative product (both design and copy).
- The CM interfaces with the Country Manager, Strategic Director, Client, the Account Management teams and other creatives.
- The CM is responsible for helping formulate and implement the strategic plan that has been developed and interpret it into the “the big idea”, working with in-country design team to bring this to life.
- The CM helps assign and manage all of the agencies creative projects, bringing in outside vendors as required and on approval.
- The CM approves all key client creative work before it is presented to the client.
- Most of all, the CM has a vision about the importance of the creative product to the future success of the agency.
- Directs the 3600 creative product at the agency and strives for excellence in everything from concept to completion of every project we work on.
- Works closely with Country Manager, Account Teams; Strategic Director and Operation’s Team in a consulting arm to drive business with key and selected clients.
- Works closely with Country Manager, Strategic Director and others identified for developing and driving “King of African Insights” requirement for the Group.
- Works closely with Country Manager, Strategic Director and others identified for developing and driving Live+ in-country.
- Assists with training requirements of Creative Teams, Brand Interface Ambassadors and operational teams (on Brand Experience to be delivered) as of when needed.
- Works closely with Country Manager and Account Management teams to solve marketing problems through smart, well-designed advertising and collateral materials that help sell product, and maintain good image for clients and agency.
- Manages the Creative/Production of (ADs, Copywriters, Production Artists, etc.).
- Attends creative input meetings on projects he personally works on to develop creative strategies and solutions and implements all creative requirements including copy, layout, illustrations, final art and photography.
- Attends creative input meetings with in-country design teams (adhoc basis) to oversee and manage their creative outputs, including copy, layout, illustrations, final art and photography.
- Is called on request of Country Manager and Account teams, or by his/her own request, to “sell” creative at client presentations.
- In concert with procurement and Op’s Team, on projects he works on, selects vendors for jobs and is involved along with the creative team in signing off final art, color proofs, etc.
- Drives the discipline of the creative team to take responsibility for the final outputs they develop for the campaigns (I.e. Not just leaving it to procurement, OP’s and CS teams to do).
- Supervises full time Senior Art Designers, and interns work.
- Has oversight on selection and management of all freelance services.
- In conjunction with Strategic Director and recruitment team is responsible for interviewing and screening applicants for creative positions within the Group.
- Represents the agency at creative/professional/civic functions.
- Develop a constructive relationship with the in-Country Management Teams, and identify the areas to support them as well as use them most effectively.
- Direct and develop staff to ensure all are performing their relevant job functions for the specific projects.
- In conjunction with Strategic Director, Provide motivation and leadership to maximise job performance.
- Ensure and maintain discipline within the creative team.
- Ensure company processes and policies are followed.
- Encourage the flow of information and knowledge within and between creative teams.
- To deal with staff issues in a professional manner.
- Implement efficient working practices, systems, time management and staff training against processes and policies.
- Direct the implementation of agreed projects and approve all project briefs, timelines and artwork.
- Review and sign off finished Artwork of key clients before it is presented to client and review Artwork of in-country creative teams on an ongoing and adhoc basis to ensure they are meeting expected standards.
- Ensure that all projects meet the desired standard of quality and Brand Experience offering.
- Maintain familiarity with the Agency’s standard Terms and Conditions of Business.
- Ensure the financial policies are followed and adhered to by the creative team at all times.
- Ensure any creative development costs are approved and agreed with Country Management before spending.
- Maximise the profitability of the Project:
- Streamlining processes.
- Widen project margin thru effective creative management – not reducing quality output.
- Monitor billings (billings schedule) on a regular basis with the aim of driving additional growth and revenue for the agency.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the agency’s terms and conditions of procurement and ensure that they are followed.
- Produce an annual business plan (including finances) for his / her Creative Business Unit, identifying opportunities and KPI’s to grow the business.