Job Title: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Client: Banking Institution
Salary: Excellent Package + Salary
Visa Type: Ghanaians (Home and Abroad) & Expatriates
- The purpose of this role is to provide strategic direction to the Bank’s Operations, and develop an integrated function that supports the profitability of the Bank as well as contribute to total quality management in the areas of Information Technology, Banking Operations, Corporate Support and Administration, and Security.
- To leverage on digitalization and drive automation of processes.
- Deliver significant improvement in customer experience in terms of TAT, productivity and process improvements.
- Ensure strategic objectives that are formulated at the Executive Management level are translated into tactical business plans with mechanisms for key measurements in place to monitor progress.
- Ensure that business change projects are delivered in line with directions from Executive Management
- Leverage the advantages of bringing together the operational expertise and drive through more efficient and effective ways of working
- Manage departmental budgets including signing off invoices and quotes within mandate. Escalate out of budgets items to the Managing Director for approval.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
At least 10-15 years general operations management experience and expertise at senior level
A minimum of 10-15 years experience in various roles including, change management, Project Management, Business Risk Management, Credit Administration, Banking Operations,Technology, Digital and Innovation.
- Strong acumen for Leadership and management
- Experience in formulating strategies and policies
- Be highly networked
- Persuading, negotiating, Influencing and interpersonal skills
- Presenting and Communicating Information
- Ability to apply technology and expertise
- Entrepreneurial and commercial thinking abilities
KEY RESULT AREAS
Achieve Business Performance
- Be accountable for the aggregate plan and delivery of systems, operations, properties & maintenance, and the general operating model in the Bank
- Develop awareness of business changes, predict challenges and identify opportunities to optimize people & processes and add value to customers & frontline operations
- Represent the COO function at Executive Management Committee level, and ensure the correct specialist knowledge is brought in to inform the Committee according to agenda requirements.
- Coordinate the efforts of the different operational areas under management to ensure minimal duplication of efforts, maximum efficiency and to maximize value for money.
- Rebalance resources between different areas e.g. reallocating headcount or budgets, but within overall approved resources for the year.
- Contribute to the development of business unit strategy for the next 2-3 years by providing a view on potential improvements for products or services and an assessment of the existing situation and anticipated changes in the external environment.
- Manage departmental budgets including signing off of invoices and quotes within mandate, while escalating out of budgets items to the Managing Director for approval.
- Sign off capital expenditure within budget; this includes approving purchase or sale decisions for desktop computers, laptops, departmental equipment etc.
- Serve as a thought leader for innovation and change.
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders and peers on Executive Management level to ensure a focus on strategies
- Provide clear directions on strategic goals, while translating and prioritizing them into business and performance measures.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people with succession planning for critical roles by enhancing the Bank’s management capability. Establishing appropriate recognition and reward for high performance / potential. Lead, inspire and coach a team of high caliber professionals.
- Work with managers in the team to achieve excellent business results through continuous people development and mentoring activities
- Ensure the development of a high-performing team through a robust formal performance development culture, and coaching management team on how to conduct the process effectively.
- Monitor the strict adherence to governance and setting standards of professionalism across the functions within COO
- Determine and analyse training and development needs for managers and ensure they do the same for their teams. Ensure that identified training is budgeted for and executed.
- Establish and maintain a succession plan for the management team using the talent management process for identified talent and an information process for remaining roles.
- With the support from the HR Business Partner, interview and recruit personnel for the department and provide support to them during the recruitment of their teams on request.
- Ensure that managers create effective workforce plans and recruitment demands for their areas
- Review requests from managers in the team for headcount changes
- Ensure a high-performance team and provide appropriate training with the aim to achieve optimum quality deliveries • Employ, engage and retain high quality people with succession planning for critical roles and appropriate recognition and reward for high performance / potential • Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values, embedding a high level of team engagement • Set the appropriate tone and expectations for team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners, global process teams, and local business teams
Driving Business Direction
- Build strong relationships with key external stakeholders, Government, suppliers, and ensure the right focus and direction for the bank at operations and technology level.
- Identify key processes for further streamlining, work on process improvements fine-tuning of the operating and organizational models, and ensure optimum delivery of processes in accordance with controls.
- Optimize TAT to improve customer experience, reduce cost without impact on control standards
- Continuously improve productivity and efficiency of processes by reducing cost and supporting business in income generation.
- Serving on various committees including Executive Management Committee
- Serve on external committees where applicable
- Ensure that risk is effectively addressed in all aspects of the business under the COO
- Ensure that a proper infrastructure (building, systems and staff complement) is maintained and developed for the bank.
- Accountable for planning and opening of new branches (outlets) in terms of expansion of the business and business plans.
Risk / Governance Management
- Build strong control measures meet risk tolerance thresholds set for processes and procedure
- Proactively manage risks and monitor controls to improve the overall state of the risk management and operating framework
- Closely work with Credit, Legal, Compliance and Risk for guidance on complex policy/ risk issues and actively provide feedback for policy gaps and revisions required
- Proactively offer insights and highlight risks/ mitigation to Board, Executive management, governance meetings.
- Manage remediation as required, and ensure data/ docs are up to a best in class standard over time
- Ensure that the risks are properly identified, quantified and analyzed for Management information.
- Ensure strict adherence to regulatory requirements, best practices, and a state of ever-readiness for audit & regulatory reviews.
- Ensure the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, for self and managed staff.
- Communication and Working Relationship
- Executive Management
- All staff within the COO’s office
- Local regulators & other policy makers
- External auditors
- Industry forums