1. JOB DETAILS
Job Title: Director, Financial Institutions Group
Reports to: Divisional Director, CIB
Business Unit: Corporate and Investment Banking
• Staff: Accountable for all FIG staff
• Deepen relationships with existing customers and bring on board new institutions in line with the Bank’s budget and strategy
Delegated Authority Levels:
• To negotiate pricing and terms for products and services in the Financial Institutions Group
• Accountability for delivering agreed revenue budget
3. JOB PURPOSE
- Responsible for leading and managing the Financial Institutions Group (comprising of Banks and Non-Banks financial institutions) within CIB according to the strategic direction set by the Board and Executive Management of the Bank.
- Accountable for defined portfolio of clients in the Bank and Non-Bank Financial Institutions segment, integrating and coordinating all the Bank’s products, services and resources in order to maximize the value of the business relationship and ensure profitability for the Bank and the client
- Participate with the management team of the Bank in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the origination and executive of transactions related to the Financial Institutions Group.
- Identify, assess and inform Executive management of topical internal and external issues that affect the Financial Institutions industry.
- Act as advisor to CIB staff and Executive Management on all Financial Institutions Group related aspects of the Bank’s activities.
- Assist in structuring transactions to grow client revenues, minimize risk to the Bank and optimize client service delivery.
- Act as a spoke person and conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Bank on all issues related to the segment.
- Represent the Bank at industry events with the aim of enhancing the Bank’s profile in the industry
- Ensure that the Bank complies with all legislation applicable in managing Banks and Non-Banks Financial Institutions
- Coordinate engagement between clients and product teams to ensure optimal service delivery
- Oversee the implementation of human resource policies, procedures and practices.
- Provide entire bouquet of customized banking services and products effectively enough to retain clients of the bank in the Financial Institutions Group
- Maximize product cross sells and ensure clients are aware of service offering across the Bank
- Define and continually review the business objectives and strategy for the Financial Institutions Strategy
- Develop and nurture strategic relationships with Clients to ensure that the strategy and business objectives of the Client and the Bank are achieved.
- Identify improvements and adaptations to existing systems and processes in order to ensure current and future viability of the FIG desk.
- Build relationships across all hierarchical levels within and outside the Bank in order to develop a credible and relevant network, to ensure leading edge financial and market information.
- Develop good personal relationships with the Heads of the inter-related Business Units within the Bank to ensure close cooperation between the Units.
- Ensures that the team communication is open and ongoing.
- Initiate and coordinate social activities for the FIG desk and inter-related Business Units in the Bank in order to enhance team building, cooperation and staff morale.
- Assist in identifying knowledge gaps within the FIG team and drive the relevant training initiatives within the FIG unit.
- Ensures that knowledge gaps in inter-related areas in the Bank are addressed by the respective Desk Heads.
5. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• First Degree from a reputable University
• Minimum 15 years of progressive experience in banking and 5 of which should have been in managing Bank and Non-Bank Financial Institutions
• Proven track record of effective sales management
• Good knowledge and understanding of banking financial services mechanisms and the entire range of products and services useful to corporate organizations in the Financial Institutions Sector with knowledge of their activities, value delivery system, mechanisms, client benefits, limitations, profitability to the bank, and value in developing strategically long term business relationships.
• Must have clear verbal and writing ability required for explaining and interpreting financial data and business information. Ability to motivate plans and tactics, business cases, options, benefits and systems/ operational issues at executive level.
• Ability to analyze and communicate Financial Institutions sector research findings/ management information data to others.
• Ability to conduct presentations and negotiating business cases in group forums.
• Ability to manage the Credit Risk associated with the Financial Institutions Group Portfolio and ensuring high portfolio quality
• Must be able to structure deals from origination to closure adding value in the process and driving best practice.
• Expert knowledge of relevant products available globally, their features, applications potential improvements and ability to translate these into the local market
• Knowledge in cash management Services.
• In-depth knowledge of local market, customers and competitors
• Ability to communicate at all levels of the organization both internally & externally
• Ability to keep abreast on changes in the market, customer requirements, competitor’s responses and the banks’ ability to use information to identify new business opportunities
• Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation and organizational skills
• Comprehensive knowledge of banking operations/SWIFTS etc.
• Proven track record in Leadership, management, organizational, and people management