PRACTICE HEAD: ENGINEERING We are a young, aggressive and fast-growing organization that is aiming to make a dent in the retail and banking industry, on how they acquire new consumers and how they manage the relationship with their existing consumers. We have had a stupendously fast growth in the first phase of our organizational development. Headquartered in Mumbai with offices across India, we are currently about 270 people strong and manage loyalty programs for over 20 banks in India, with a cumulative base of over 600 million consumer profiles across the loyalty programs we manage. We also work with over 120 mid to large sized retail organizations with over 7,000 retail outlets enrolled into our consumer platform called Max Get More. We have 73% market share across all the debit cards issued in India, and our systems process one out of every two debit card transactions in India to award loyalty Points. We currently process over 100 million transactions per month worth over INR 7,000 Crores, and have processed over a billion transactions cumulatively. As we enter into the next phase of our organizational growth, we are aiming to decisively reinvigorate the organization and reposition the organization from being a strong B2B player – a game which we have decisively won, into a deeply consumer focused organization with a Product approach. Towards achieving these objectives, we expect the Practice Head, Engineering to play a significantly impactful role. He / She would function as a key resource towards the engineering strategy, and execute as a thought leader who can bring-in the required best practices that will help design, implement solutions to evolve the organization from its current stage to a matured and high-productive organization. Role Summary & Job Description The Engineering Manager will operate as a trusted executor to the Technology Team as an Expert to deliver high quality software systems. You will have an opportunity to lead of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering world-class experiences across multiple channels, including native iOS, Android, web, and APIs. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas, proof of concepts, high quality implementations to deliver existing and future needs of our customers. You should be an effective people manager and a proven technical leader. You hire, lead and grow multiple teams while promoting innovation and a healthy work culture. You will make architectural decisions and take accountability for them, to build a scalable, reliable, high-performance SaaS platform. You should able to drive consensus across different stake-holders for hard technical trade-offs and lead potentially risky R&D efforts to success. You ensure alignment of team and technology priorities with company level business goals and strategy. You are familiar and comfortable to drive agile development practices including but not limited to scrum, test-driven-development etc. You promote best practices for software development, testing and deployment. You research, adopt newer technologies and tools to improve the platform or productivity. DESIRED SKILL SET AND EXPERIENCE
MUST HAVE SKILLS
SPRING, HIBERNATE, MVC FRAMEWORKS, JAVA EE STACK, CONCURRENCY, JMS, JMX, SOAP, REST
MULTI-TENANCY / SAAS BASED / ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTURE
GOOD PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE OF RDBMS SOLUTIONS (E.G. ORACLE, MSSQL, MYSQL, POSTGRESQL);
EXPERIENCE IN WORKFLOW ENGINE
STRONG OOPS CONCEPTS AND DESIGN PATTERNS
STRONG BACKGROUND IN LINUX
EXPERIENCE IN RULES ENGINE – DROOL / JBPM MULTITHREADING / CONCURRENCY
EXPERIENCE WITH AND GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF OPEN SERVICE ORIENTED ARCHITECTURES (REST, HTTP);
CACHING ENGINE: EHCACHE / REDIS / MEMCACHE
EXPERIENCE IN IMPLEMENTING BEST PRACTICES ACROSS THE SDLC
PROJECT MANAGEMENT SKILLS
EXPOSURE TO DEPLOYMENT METHODOLOGIES
EXPERIENCE IN LEADING A TEAM OF ENGINEERS
EXPERIENCE IN UML
EXPERINCE IN AGILE / SCRUM
EXPERIENCE IN PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
GOOD TO HAVE SKILLS
EXPOSURE TO AND UNDERSTANDING OF MOBILE ARCHITECTURES (WEB, NATIVE, MIX) IS A BIG PLUS.
GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF VARIOUS NOSQL OFFERINGS AND WHERE IT FITS (E.G. CASSANDRA, MONGODB, REDIS);
EXPOSURE TO DIFFERENT JVM LANGUAGES BEYOND JAVA (E.G. SCALA) IS A BIG PLUS;
UNDERSTANDING OF INFRASTRUCTURE, NETWORK, AND SECURITY CONCEPTS
EXPOSURE TO BIG DATA PROBLEMS AND TOOLS IS A BIG PLUS;
• Clear Thinker: Ability to translate business requirements into technical solutions, successful track record of delivering quality products.
• Must Have: Strong & Hands on experience in developing/implementing Highly Scalable, Robust, and Secure Multi-tenant SaaS platforms. Should have designed and implemented large scale customer facing implementations.
Tech Expertise: Experience of designing and building large scale, distributed architectures. Strong development experience in one or more OO programming language. Experience with object oriented design experience and design patterns • Sound Techniques: Experience in building Distributed and Scalable architectures. Expertise in Data Structures, Algorithms, Concurrency and Operability, Design Patterns, and SaaS & Multi-Tenant Frameworks. • Great Influencer: Tech mentoring, great interpersonal skills, strong written & verbal communication skills, data driven decisions. • Demonstrated experience: in Agile development, application design, software development, and testing Your Role • In addition to managing, & mentoring a team, you would need to play a role of an individual Contributor – that means you would also be required to be a part of the implementation process. You should be willing to get hands dirty by writing code, hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems, API specs, conducting code reviews and testing in ongoing sprints, or doing proof of concepts.
• Provide leadership, vision and focus to engineers and architects
• You will be required to identify ad implement best practices across the SDLC.
• Manage the IT function and be responsible for providing the business support with robust technology systems & processes by ensuring cost rationalization, quality assurance and capacity planning.
• Scale the product to support tens of millions of active users whilst delivering minimal response time
• Collaborate and lead technical leads and contribute to the overall architecture, design and development of core products.
• Build a culture of innovation within the technology teams to ensure the company builds high quality products
• Be closely involved in defining the product offering (Internet and Mobile), requirements gathering, change management, project management, customer experience and engineering operations while contributing individually to the technical vision defined. • You will serve as a core member of an agile team that drives user story analysis and elaboration, designs and develops software applications, and tests and builds automation tools • You will be required to drive best practices in development • You will be working with technical product managers contributing to blueprints, and assisting with annual planning of feature sets.
• Constantly investigate emerging technologies & techniques, research ongoing industry trends, make appropriate recommendations to the management for enhancements • Communicate with co-workers, quality assurance staff, and Support staff to clarify program design details, exchange and verify information, and coordinate work activities. • Identify and resolve programming problems by following routine methods, established system development methodologies.
• Strong project management experience defining tasks, allocating tasks, work breakdown structure, planning resource requirements and project timelines
• Excellent communication skills, an attitude to get things done and willingness to work in a high—growth, extremely fast pace environment. Qualifications
10+ years of software development experience, and preferably MS in Computer Science, a related field of education, or other technical discipline.