Internal audit-director/vice president
The Candidate will be responsible for the delivery of IA’s service streams, Internal Audit, Management Assurance and Advisory, and Conduct and Ethics, for Brookfield businesses operating in India. Key responsibilities include, but not limited to, the following:
- Conducts annual risk assessment based on Brookfield Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program, input from management, external auditors and external factors for the development of the annual audit plan
- Continually monitors and updates the risk assessment keeping abreast of significant risk and control issues, trends and developments
- Lead the execution of the annual risk-based audit plan for evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of governance, risk management and control processes (financial, operational, information technology and regulatory) in place to manage significant risk exposures
- Scheduling, assigning auditors and providing supervision of fieldwork, and reviewing of working papers and draft audit reports, ensuring compliance with IA’s audit methodology
- Liaising with relevant assurance providers
- Reporting audit findings to senior management and BAM Chief Internal Auditor and the Internal Audit Business Group Leads.
- Supervise special projects executed at the specific request of management, to report on aspects of the control environment (assurance) and to provide guidance on the design or implementation of governance, risk management and control processes (advisory)
- Oversee and or conduct investigations into whistle-blower allegations of fraud or misconduct
- Manage and oversee auditors’ performance, providing training and staff development, and ensuring right mix of skills are in place to execute audit projects, including co-sourcing with external subject matter experts when necessary
- Liaising with regional IA leads and overseeing all Internal Audit, Management Assurance and Advisory and Conduct and Ethics work performed regionally; and
- Prepare presentations and other materials for audit committees and participating in audit committee meetings as required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of auditing practices, procedures and principles, extensive understanding of financial, operational, market, and credit risk and knowledge of IFRS
- Strong understanding of Internal Controls over External Financial Reporting to ensure compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) Act and Indian regulations as they pertain to internal control
- Comprehensive knowledge of auditing practices, procedures and principles, sufficient to interpret and analyze complex concepts and apply these in innovative ways, including the use of data analytics
- Good organizational, planning and project management skills, with the ability to drive multiple projects concurrently and to bring simplicity to processes in order to increase efficiency and productivity
- Skills and knowledge should include an extensive understanding of financial, operational, IT and regulatory risks, and knowledge of IFRS
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with experience interacting and presenting to executive management level personnel through, “jargon-free” communications
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to resolve conflict in order to achieve objectives
- Ability to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to solve complex problems, maintaining close attention to detail without losing sight of the bigger picture
- Self-motivated and proactive, with respect to both managing workload and professional development
- Ability to not only understand the “letter of the law” but can develop action plans and make recommendations to business leaders that are insightful and add value to the business; and
- Ability to build strong professional relationships with Corporate and business group management through providing a value-added service.
This position offers excellent opportunities in a dynamic environment for an individual with a “hands-on” approach. To qualify, candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related finance field; Accounting designation (preferably CA); other desirable qualifications: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with a public accounting firm and a minimum of 6 years of corporate industry experience (property, infrastructure, renewable energy, construction)
- At least 3-4 years’ experience managing internal control frameworks at an enterprise level (senior audit position)
- Experience in Property, Infrastructure and/or Construction sectors highly preferred
- Experience working in a lean environment and hybrid resourcing models (internal and co-sourcing).