1. Understand the consumer so that functional aspects can be considered along with business objectives, aesthetic needs and cost objectives.
2. Provide design and technical guidance to the team and junior Industrial Designers.
3. Participate in accomplishing the day-to-day activities of the Industrial Design department.
4. Coordinate team meetings, functions, and time schedules within their ID function.
5. Coordinate activities with outside industrial design consultants.
6. Develop contracts for vendors and design consultants relationships
7. Support NPS Planning with planned activities and concepts on an annual basis.
1. Work very closely with all new product development departments, especially Engineering, Marketing, Purchasing, and Manufacturing, in a team atmosphere achieving new levels of creativity and innovation with their key projects.
2. Lead new product development concept development activities, prototyping activities and project cost adherence.
3. Plan, organize and give project presentations to management.
4. Learn, understand and implement new approaches to concept development and design research.
5. Continuously explore and develop new methods of model making and presentation techniques.
6. Maintain current awareness of consumer and competitor product offerings including product design trends in both the U.S. and in foreign markets.
7. Develop and maintain familiarity with new materials and processes.
8. Maintain a keen understanding of the manufacturing processes that are especially associated with your category responsibility.
1. May have one or more of the following expertise that would be unique and desirable to a given category:
Bathing - Hydrotherapy, a high affinity for water as an experiential medium
Sanitary - Materials expertise in ceramics, human factors understanding related to hygiene, highly refined, three-dimensional styling capability.
Furniture - Talent and aptitude with wood, mechanical sensibility, sensitivity to designing meet broad consumer preferences including traditional style
Kitchen - Materials expertise in stainless steel and cast iron, knowledge and talent in kitchen design, cabinetry, culinary interest
Faucets - Materials and process knowledge in metals, mechanical aptitude,
Performance Showering - A high affinity for water as an experiential medium, fluid mechanics aptitude
Interior Design – Architecture – talent and aptitude to deliver creative solutions for the bathing and kitchen environment as a whole and understand how this breaks down into new product design
2. Keen observer, empathetic
3. Passion & perseverance
4. Diverse Thinking ( Seeks information from diverse and multiple sources)
5. Entrepreneur capabilities
6. Abstract Reasoning
7. Process Oriented
8. Highly Curious
9. Strong learner
10. Adaptable to remote working situations
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACTS
1. Reports to Studio Director
2. Dotted line responsibility to Program Manager of Category for project work only.
3. May manage direct reports and/or supervises designers working on projects in category.
1. Works alongside Engineering, Marketing, and Manufacturing in a team
External Business Relationships:
1. Has contact with vendors and design consultants.
2. Attends industry tradeshows and seminars as needed to maintain awareness of competitor products, designs, and overall consumer product design trends.
3. Attends industrial design seminars and courses as necessary to maintain professional skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS