Each region has responsibility for gaining competitive advantage by acquiring proprietary consumer insight which when utilized enables us to develop products and services to meet or exceed our brand values and business objectives.
How this insight is gained, its dissemination, interpretation and management is critical to extracting maximum value. Our organization strategy is to establish regional design research capability, close to the consumers we need to understand, which is then connected internationally via an internal peer-to-peer network. Each point in the network is responsible for becoming an open source able to bring to life regional consumers in such a manner that they can be meaningfully compared and contrasted across regions/countries/etc. This enables discovery, exploration and definition of local and global NPS through global/cross-regional/inter-regional consideration and analysis.
The network also creates a professional community that can be collectively tasked to ensure that Company always operates at the leading edge of design research and consumer insight.
The Senior Staff Designer – Design Research, has specific responsibility for design research to gain, consider and exploit consumer insight for:
- Regional business and new product strategy
- Regional advanced development and new product development projects
- Global Fixtures and Faucets Core Range strategies, AD and NPD projects and other global business opportunities that may be assigned.
The Senior Staff Designer - Design Research is an agent and a source for research for company globally. They are capable of leading user insight and experience research, trends analysis and specific in-project activities. This work generates qualitative and quantitative frameworks of information that allows the business to better define project scopes, ideate and innovate and make informed decisions on project planning and risk.
They will be able to define appropriate research methods, personally conduct research in conjunction with internal staff and select and administer research via external providers. They will be able to synthesize, organize, simplify and create reports and presentations of large amounts of abstract data and possess sufficient analytical capability to process quantitative data and derive conclusions. Effective graphical/ visual communication skills are a significant benefit.
They will also have a deep understanding of the emotional values and meanings relevant to our customers. This is then tied closely to a deep understanding of the product vision and tenets that allows them to conduct research and define insights which are relevant to the strategic design vision and to the realization of product solutions.
They will embed themselves with the new product development team, becoming a key strategy influencer taking part in the review of key milestones, contributing research knowledge and insight wherever there is need with the ultimate goal of maximizing the quality of project deliverables.
Through this position, they may develop to a Lead Designer – Design Research level via formal training, coaching and developing junior staff assigned to them.
1. Build an open shared knowledge database suitable for investigation by project teams.
2. Develop and maintain a map of ‘now and next’ consumer lifestyle persona’s, scenarios and future need-states for bathroom and kitchen.
3. Build effective working relationships with Marketing and Market/Customer Research such that process, data and analysis are integrated, shared and interactive.
4. Build internal and external relationships to strengthen their understanding of design research and how they can influence innovation.
5. Understand the consumer, especially in the bathroom and kitchen environments, so that functional aspects can be considered along with aesthetic needs and cost objectives.
6. Provide design research and consumer insight guidance to the team and other NPD members.
7. Participate in accomplishing the day-to-day activities of the Industrial Design department
8. Coordinate team meetings, functions, and time schedules within their research function.
9. Coordinate activities with outside consultants.
10. Develop contracts for vendors and consultants relationships
11. Build relationships among complex, diverse and seemingly unrelated information or events that relates to impact on business
1. Work very closely with all new product development departments, especially Design, Marketing and Engineering, in a team atmosphere achieving new levels of creativity and innovation with their key projects.
2. Lead new product development design research activities including desk, in-market and consultant programs
3. Plan, organize and construct documents for, and give project presentations to management.
4. Learn, understand and implement new approaches to design research.
Profile and competencies:
1. Cross-cultural communications expertise
2. Keen observer, empathetic
3. Passion & perseverance
4. Diverse Thinking ( Seeks information from diverse and multiple sources)
5. Entrepreneur capabilities
6. Abstract Reasoning
7. Process Oriented
8. Highly Curious
9. Strong learner
10. Adaptable to remote working situations
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACTS
1. Reports to Studio Director
2. Dotted line to Marketing Director
3. Dotted Line to Program Managers when working on projects.
4. May manage direct reports and/or supervise others e.g. research counterparts in other regions.
1. Works alongside Design,Engineering, Marketing, and Manufacturing in a team
External Business Relationships:
1. Has contact with vendors and design consultants.
2. Attends industry tradeshows and seminars as needed to maintain awareness of competitor products, designs, and overall consumer product design trends.
3. Attends industrial design, strategy development seminars, and courses as necessary to maintain professional skills.
4. Connect with Inspiring Thought leaders to engage and inspire the in-house teams
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS