To provide direction and leadership to the team and management on site, ensure business objectives are achieved at optimum efficiency and minimum cost. Safety procedures, applicable laws, and sound business practices must be adhered to, they must collaborate with Corporate, Regional and other site leaders in the global implementation of best practices to leverage efficiencies.The government relations are to be carried out in a manner consistent with corporate philosophy of the company. Provide guidance and direction to accommodate the Project Construction Team until full operation and financial completion is achieved.
- Manage all aspects of the mine operations, including safety, mining, milling, maintenance, engineering, geology, administration, and environment in the setting and achieving of business objectives and KPIs.
- Monitor and develop budgets to ensure operating margins are met. Recommend and implement corrective actions to ensure production objectives and quality solutions.
- Oversee the site risk management program including regular identification and assessment of operational and business risks and implementation and monitoring of risk mitigation plans.
- Interact with national, regional, and local officials as well as other relevant stakeholders to ensure that organizational objectives are met. Provide operational input into the overall organizational strategy and key objectives.
- Engage employees at all levels to champion health & safety, and to promote a robust accident free culture. Encourage positive working relations with local unions/employee groups.
- Provide strategic input into the design and implementation of global talent management initiatives
- Maintain and promote a high-performance culture throughout the operation.
- Clearly articulate each department’s mandate, objectives and performance expectations required to achieve business plans and production targets.
- Establish context and coordinate integration between Department Heads.
- Establish a learning and development programs that ensure employees have the necessary tools, skills, and leadership support to achieve individual and team objectives.
- Ensure succession plans are in place for each member of the site management team as well as for identified critical roles.
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in engineering (mining, geology, metallurgy) OR
Technical diploma (mining, geology, metallurgy) with extensive experience or previous experience in the role.
Masters’ in business administration an added advantage
A minimum of 15 years’ experience in operations and engineering, with a significant experience in gold mines
A minimum of 10 years of experience in leading management teams in mining
Proven track record/experience in change management
Knowledge and experience operating in a remote multicultural environment.
Ability to handle government, community, and public affairs in a foreign environment
High degree of business acumen and strong negotiation skills
Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to motivate and inspire, is visionary, creative and flexible
Ability to recognize and source key skills inside/outside of the organization to give the Company a competitive edge