Job advert is asking for strong communication skills! How are your communication skills?
Here are a few pointers for you to keep on mind show that you have excellent communication skills:
1. Listen – be ‘present’ and let the person you are exchanging with know they have your full attention, even on a phone call. There is nothing more off putting than trying to have a serious conversation with some you know from the sounds in the background, is washing the dishes! If talking face 2 face / via video link make eye contact with the person speaking, nod and react. Asking questions about what they are saying also shoes you have been listening.
2. Be clear – speak directly and be sure that your message has been understood and not misinterpreted. There is no need to throw a vocabulary salad at your audience and bombard them with jargon, they will quickly loose interest and may feel patronised.
3. Choose the right channel – with all the options we have available to send a message – keep in mind which would be best channel, and which are you most comfortable using. If in any doubt, a face-to-face conversation or phone call trumps a text / email, if the message is important. This way, you can at least gauge the level of reaction.
4. Be sensitive – speaking loudly in an open plan office about a sensitive topic is not a good strategy. Use your emotional intelligence to time to conversation and to have this in the right setting.
5. Be open to feedback – the interesting thing about communication is that it tends to be 2 ways so be prepared for comments and feedback about the topic you have communicated.
6. Be tuned in – watch the response you get from the people you are talking to, does their body language change, are they offended and adjust your tone accordingly.
7. Radiate positive energy – sometimes this is easier said than done however, a smile goes a mile. Make sure you are in the right frame of mind and well prepared to convey your message.
8. Be consistent - if you are having multiple exchanges with people make sure you stay true to yourself and consistent else you may be perceived as being disingenuous and fake.
You get one chance to apply all your communication skills during a job interview, this is your time to shine.
Why not practice and improve on your communication skills at home when you can and try to be an active listener, this is a good place to start.
Do not worry, our recruitment teams will offer some guidance in interview preparation, so you are at ease throughout the process. Contact us via www.antal.com for more information and our current jobs.